Automatic Greasing Systems (AGS)
The systems we use disperse small amounts of grease frequently, reducing the amount of grease used over time and, consequently, lessening the environmental resources required to run them. These systems also prevent spills and drips caused by over-greasing, thereby avoiding environmental contamination and the need for costly cleanup. Additionally, AGS reduce machinery wear and tear, which in turn reduces the need for replacement parts that may end up in landfills or have to be recycled. Finally, the consistency and accuracy of AGS result in optimal machinery performance, lowering friction and energy consumption.
Bulk Shipping and Carbon Tracking
We bulk ship orders whenever possible to reduce emissions and use postage companies that track carbon emissions. We also track the weight and volume of our orders, so customers can see how much we have sent to them. By grouping jobs in one area, we can reduce traveling back and forth and minimise our carbon footprint.
To receive a detailed report of your carbon footprint, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Compostable and recyclable mailer options
When it comes to our mailers, we take great care in ensuring they have as little impact on the environment as possible. We use packaging that is either compostable or recyclable, depending on what is available at the time. The compostable bags we use can be conveniently disposed of in your home compost or taken to a commercial composting plant. We are committed to continuously seeking out and utilising sustainable options for our packaging, because we know that every little bit helps. If you’d like to learn more about the specific packaging we use, please check out r3pack.
Tips for disposing of your compostable mailer
Our compostable courier bags are versatile and can be reused in many different ways, which is an excellent way to reduce waste. Here are some suggestions for how you can use them again:
- Turn them inside out to use as a courier bag once more
- Use them as weed matting or seedling bags
- Repurpose them as a food waste bag
When your compostable bag is no longer usable, you can compost it either at home or through a commercial composter. This is a great way to ensure that the bag returns to the earth and completes its lifecycle in a sustainable manner.
Click here for Tui Garden’s Composting tips at home.
Click here for wasteMINZ site for commercial composters taking compostable packaging
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
We encourage all of our employees to reduce, reuse, and recycle materials whenever possible. We reuse boxes we receive to ship items and compost or recycle any cardboard that cannot be reused. We also use compostable or recyclable packaging for our mailers.
Mindful Fuel Consumption and Efficient Route Planning
As a service company, we understand that travelling is an integral part of our operations. However, we are committed to minimising our environmental impact by optimising our fuel usage. To achieve this, we carefully plan our routes to ensure that we cover the most economical distance between jobs. Additionally, we monitor the fuel consumption of all our fleet vehicles to identify areas where we can improve efficiency. Whenever possible, we group jobs within the same area to reduce unnecessary travelling. We use Fleetpin to track our vehicles and ensure that we operate in the most environmentally-friendly way possible.
Conserving Power in the Workshop and Office
We strive to conserve power wherever we can and encourage “switching off” as part of our staff culture. Our office provides natural light, so often lights are not needed. However, when they are, we use energy-efficient light bulbs.
Our next steps towards sustainability
As part of our ongoing commitment to reducing our impact on the environment, we are taking several steps to further our sustainability efforts. Here are some of the actions we’re taking:
- Assisting and encouraging suppliers to reduce shipping We recognise that shipping can have a significant impact on the environment, which is why we are working closely with our suppliers to reduce shipping to us. By pre-empting our upcoming stock needs and doing bulk orders rather than lots of small orders where possible, we can reduce the carbon footprint of our shipping.
- Carbon offsetting by planting trees We understand the importance of carbon offsetting and are taking part in community planting days and investing in larger scale planting programmes across New Zealand. By planting native trees, we can help to offset our carbon emissions and contribute to a more sustainable future.
- Recycling used plastics We believe in keeping and appropriately recycling used plastics that are unable to go to kerbside recycling. By doing so, we can reduce the amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfills and contribute to a more circular economy.
- Sending parts in compostable or paper envelopes To further reduce our environmental impact, we are looking at ways to send parts in compostable or paper envelopes. This helps to ensure that our packaging is as sustainable as possible and can be easily disposed of in an eco-friendly way.
We are always looking for new ways to reduce our impact on the environment and will continue to take steps towards greater sustainability in the future.
Restoring and Maintaining a Sustainable Forest: Our Personal Project
Despite working hard, we make a conscious effort to stay focused on what matters. That's why we've been dedicating our free time to a personal project aimed at maintaining and restoring the native forest on Annette's family farm near Murchison. Our efforts have focused on pest control and monitoring the forest to ensure its health. Our future goal is to continue looking after this family block and supporting its long-term sustainability.